Name: Kassey P. Garba
Marital Status: Married
Current Positions: Professor & HOD
Other Positions: Co-Coordinator, Centre for Growth and Development, Bodija, Ibadan
Area of Specialization: Development Economics; Marketing; Management
- University of Ibadan, Department of Economics, 1985-89
- Xavier University, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1980-82
- Georgia State University, 1976-80
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) (Econs), November 1989. University of Ibadan.
- Masters of Business Administration (MBA), 1982. Xavier University, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Bachelors of Business Administration BBA (Health Administration), July 1980. Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Certificate in Women in Development Studies, August 1990. St. Mary's University, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
SCHOLARSHIPS, FELLOWSHIPS AND PRIZES
- Fullbright Professional Fellowship, 2002/2003 Academic Session
- Chevening Scholarship for a one-year post-doctoral study, Dept. of Econs., University of Manchester, U. K.. Awarded by the British Council, September 1995 to August 1996.
- Social Sciences of Nigeria Research Grant recipient, 1994
- African Economic Research Consortium Grant recipient, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
- Social Sciences of Nigeria Research Grant recipient, 1991
- A four-month Research Fellowship at Dalhousie University Canada, under the Nigeria-Canada Linkage Programme (funded by The Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), April to August, 1990).
- Tuition waiver during all undergraduate studies, for high academic performance.
- Garba, P. K. (2014). “Expectations Challenges that Female Academics Face and the Strategies They Employ in Their Career Paths”. In the Proceedings of the DAAD-WAFIRAN Workshop on Women Advancement Forum: International Exchanges, Research & Academia. Institute of African Studies, University of Ibadan. (November)
- Garba, P. K. (2014). “Transiting form Line Item Budgeting to Rule Based and Performance Based Budgeting: A Case For and Suggestions about Processes”. Ibadan: Center for Growth and Development Paper Series. (February).
- Garba, P. K. (2014). “The global Competitiveness Index and Nigeria’s Ranking: Matters Arising.” Ibadan: Centre for Growth and Development Paper Series. (January)
- Garba, P. K. (2013). “Social Contract and the Future of Universities.” Abu Dhabi, the World Economic Forum: Annual GAC Conference. (November)
- Garba, A. G. and P. K. Garba (2013). “The Jobless Young and Poor in Nigeria: The Key Questions and the Possible Answers”. Nigerian Journal of Economic & Social Studies. Vol. 55, No. 1. (March)
- Garba, P. K. (2013). “Values in the Future of Universities.”The Foundation Day Lecture, Igbinedion University, Okada. (May)
- Garba, P. K. (2013). “Building Values for Innovation and Collaboration in the 21st Century University.” CISCO International and The British Council Workshop on Innovate, Collaborate or Die. Dubai (4-6 March)
- Garba, P. K. (2012). “Identifying Essential Values for Future Universities.” Presented at the World Economic Forum Summit on the Global Agenda Council on Future of Universities, 2012. Dubai, Nov. 12-14
- Garba, P. K. (2012). The Impossibility of Sound Economic Outcomes without Sound Management and Leadership. An Inaugural Lecture (2011/2012) on behalf of the Faculty of the Social Sciences, to the University of Ibadan. Thursday, May 3rd 2012.
- Garba, P. K. (2012). “Nigeria in a Global Economy in Crisis and Transition: a Transformation Perspective” Commissioned Paper presented to the Second Policy Dialogue of the Murtala Mohammed Foundation. (February)
- Garba P. K. (2012). “Transforming the Nigerian Economy: The requirements of a true transformation”. Commissioned Lecture presented at the Distinguished Lecture Series of the Faculty of Business and Communication Studies, The Polytechnic Ibadan.
- Garba, A.G and P.K Garba (2011). “The Informal Sector in the Nigerian Economy: Analysis of Behavior and Effects of Government Policy”, Nigerian Journal of Economic and Social Studies, Vol. 53. No 1.
- Garba P. K. and A. G. Garba (2011). “An Evaluation of the Policy Options for Dealing with Rising Unemployment and Macroeconomic Imbalances in Nigeria. Nigerian Economic Society: National Seminar Series. (November)
- Garba, P. K. (2011). “Strategic Repositioning of the Pharmaceutical Industry for Greater Impact on the Nigerian Economy”, Commissioned paper presented to the Nigerian Association of Industrial Pharmacists. (August)
- Garba, P. K. (2011) “The Changing Nature of Innovation and Its Implications for Economic Development” Commissioned Lecture presented to the Nigerian Academy of Science. 12th May 2011. Abuja. (May)
- Garba, P. K. (2010) “Networking as a Strategic Option for Entrepreneurs”. Commissioned by UI-ROEHAMPTON University Project on Employability and Entrepreneurship.
- Garba, P. K. (2010) “Branding the Entrepreneur”. Commissioned by UI-ROEHAMPTON University Project on Employability and Entrepreneurship.
- Garba, P. K. and A. G. Garba (2010) “Women in Economic Research and Graduate Training in Nigeria”. African Economic Research Consortium, Special Paper No. 44.
- Garba, P. K. (2006) “Strategic Gender Goals for NEEDS II”, Commissioned by the National Planning Commission.
- Garba, P. K. (2006) “Regional and Gender Dimension of Poverty in Sub-Saharan Africa: Implications for Poverty Reduction Strategies”, In African Economic Research Consortium (2006) Poverty, Growth and Institutions, AERC Senior Policy Seminar VII, Nairobi: AERC.
- Garba, P. K. (2005). “International Trade Negotiations after Cancun: Issues and Challenges to African Countries.” In Ogun, O., Ogunkola, E. O. and Bankole, A. S. (eds), Economic Policy and Analysis. Ibadan: Trade Policy Research and Training Programme. PP. 45-66.
- Garba, A. G. and Garba, P. K. (2005). The Nigerian Civil War: Causes and the Aftermath. In Fosu, A. K. and Collier, P. (eds). Post-Conflict Economies in Africa. Palgrove: Macmillan, IEA. PP. 91-108.
- Garba, P. K. (2005). ”Indicators and Measures of Governance: An African Perspective”. Nigerian Journal of Development Research, Vol. 1, No. 1.
- Garba, P. K. (2003) “Empowering African Nations in the 21st Century: Justifications and Requirements.” In Garba, A. G. (ed.) Development Thought, Policy Advice and Economic Development in Sub-Saharan Africa: Lessons for the 21st Century. Ibadan: NES. Chpt. 19.
- Garba, P. K. (2003) “Health Policy Advocacy in Organisations: Justification and Challenges.” In Udegbe, I. B. (ed.). Transforming Organizational Health Policy for Gender Equity in Nigerian Organizations. Ibadan: Macmillan Press.
- Garba, P. K. (2003) “Human Capital Formation, Utilization and the Development of Nigeria: A Systems Analysis”. IHRIM Journal, Vol. VII, No. 3, pp. 25-37
- Garba, P. K. (2001). “The Impact of Structural Adjustment Programme on the Acceptance of Family Planning Programmes in Nigeria. Indian Journal of Economics, Part III (January), pp. 291-305
- Garba, P. K., Garba, A. G., and Olarinde, E. (2001) "Internal Conflicts in Nigerian Universities: Sources, Effects and Resolutions". Annals of the Social Science Academy of Nigeria. No 13 (January-December), pp. 161-186
- Olawoye, J. E. et al. (2001) “Gender Socialization and Male Responsibility in Family: A Comparative Analysis of Three Socio-Cultural Groups in Nigeria” Annals of the Social Science Academy of Nigeria. No 13 (January-December), pp. 92-108.
- Garba, P. K. and Garba, A. G. (2001) “Policy Challenges and Option of the Globalization of Finance for Nigeria.” Afri-Bank Journal of Economics and Finance. Ibadan: Afribank Nigerian PLC. Vol. 2, No. 1.
- .Garba, A. G. and Garba, P. K. (2001) “Market Failure, State Failure and Air Pollution in Nigeria: A Theoretical Investigation of Two Cases.” In Natural Resource Use, the Environment and Sustainable Development. Annual Proceedings of the Nigerian Economic Society, pp. 491-517.
- Garba, P. K. (2000) “Is Government Policy Unstable?: An Analysis of the Stability of Nigerian Agricultural Policies, 1970-1993”, African Journal of Economic Policy, Vol. 5, Nos. 1, pp. 79-102.
- Garba, P. K. (2000) “Does Gender Matter in Nigeria’s Budgeting?”. NCEMA Policy Analysis Series. Vo. 5, No. 2., pp. 78-101.
- Garba, P. K. (2000) “Advocating for Policy Change in Gender-Related Issues: Some Strategies for Success.” International Journal of Social Sciences, Vol 2, No. 2, pp. 176-190
- Garba, P. K. (2000) “An Endogenous Empowerment Strategy for Women.” Development in Practice, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 130-141.
- Garba, P. K. (2000), Analysis of the Implementation and Stability of Nigeria Agricultural Policy,1970-1993. Research Paper, 101 (June). (Nairobi: African Economic Research Consortium). 64 pages
- Garba, A. G. and P. K. Garba (1999). “Trade Liberalization, Gender Equality and Adjustment Policies in Sub-Saharan Africa”. In Fall, Y (ed.). Gender, Globalization and Resistance. Dakar: AAWORD Book Series. PP. 7-40.
- Garba, P. K. (1999). “Structural Adjustment, Budget Structure and the Gender Employment Gap in Nigeria”. Nigerian Journal of Economic & Social Studies. Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 125-158.
- Garba, P. K. (1999) “Does government keep its words? An analysis of the implementation of Agricultural Policies in Nigeria, 1970-93.” Nigerian Journal of Economic and Social Studies, Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 421-466
- Garba, A. G. and P. K. Garba. (1999). “Gender, African Development and Global Interdependence: Challenges in the Twenty-First Century”, mimeo; (April).
- Garba, P. K. (1997). The Nigerian Foreign Exchange Market: Possibilities for Convergence in Exchange Rates. Research Paper 55 (March). (Nairobi: African Economic Research Consortium). 35 pages
- Odubogun, P. K. (1997) "Income and Spending Pattern”. In Status of Adolescents and Young Adults in Nigeria. Ibadan: Centre for Health Sciences Training, Research and Development International (CHESTRAD), pp.265-285.
- Garba, P. K. (1997) "The Impact of Economic Adjustment on Women in Food Processing: A Case of Women Gari Processors in Ibadan and Moniya" in Garba, P. K. et, al (eds.) Women and Economic Reforms in Nigeria. Women's Research and Documentation Center (WORDOC), University of Ibadan, pp. 128-155
- Dordunoo, C., Odubogun, P. K., and Ssemongerere, G. & Kasekende, L., (1997). A Comparative Study of Foreign Exchange Policy Management in Ghana, Nigeria and Uganda. Special Papers Series. No. 27 (March). (Nairobi: African Economic Research Consortium). 79 pages
- Garba, P. K. (1997) "A Strategy for Empowering Women: Application to Trade Union Activities". In Garba, P. K. et, al (eds.) Women and Economic Reforms in Nigeria. Women's Research and Documentation Center (WORDOC), University of Ibadan, pp.244-276
- Garba, A. G. and P. K. Garba (1997). "Economics of Adjustment and Group Interests" in Garba, P. K. et, al (eds.) Women and Economic Reforms in Nigeria. Women's Research and Documentation Center (WORDOC), University of Ibadan. Pp. 208-225
- Garba, P. K., Akanji, B., and Isiugo-Abanihe, I. (eds.) (1997). Women and Economic Reforms in Nigeria, Women's Research and Documentation Center (WORDOC), University of Ibadan. 278 pages
- Odubogun, P. K. (1996). "Economic Issues in the Empowerment of Nigerian Women" in Erinosho L., Osotimehin, B. and Olawoye, J. (eds.) Women's Empowerment and Reproductive Health. (Ibadan: Bookcraft Ltd. for SSRHRN), pp.68-82
- Garba, P. K. (1996) "An Evaluation of Recent Exchange Rate Policy in Nigeria: 1993-1995"in Ariyo, A. (ed.) Macroeconomic Management and Economic Reformin Nigeria. Ibadan: Centre for Public-Private Co-operation, pp. 37-52
- Odubogun, P. K. and J. O. Olusi, (1995), "Graduate Training of Women in Economics in Nigerian Universities: Status, Problems and Possible Solutions" in Graduate Training in Economic: Addressing Gender Bias. (Nairobi: African Econ. Res. Consortium), pp.51-94.
- Odubogun, P. K. (1994) "The Post-Reform Management of Foreign Exchange in Nigeria", African Journal of Economic Policy, Vol. 1, No. 1, (June), pp.101 - 123
- Odubogun, P. K. (1994) "Poverty Alleviation in Africa: Reviews of Strategies." African Quarterly, Vol.34, No.4, 1-16, pp. 1-16
- Odubogun, P. K. (1992). Management Theory: Relevance for Management Practice in Nigeria (Maastritcht: The Netherlands International Institute for
- Odubogun, P. K. (1991). "Targeting the Nigerian Vulnerable Groups for Adjustment Effects Compensation: Strategies and Options". Proceedings of Ibadan Socio-Economic Group Conference, pp.99-104
- Ogwumike, O. F. and P. K. Odubogun (1989). "Alleviation of Poverty Through the Provision of Basic Needs in Nigeria", Indian Journal of Economics, No. 274, Vol. LXIX, Part III (January), pp. 257-269
- Odubogun, P. K. and R. Patel (1989). "A Study of Marital Roles in Consumer Decision-Making: A Case of Nigeria". Nigerian Marketing Journal, Vol. 2, No. 6, (April-June), p. 5-11.
- Odubogun, P. K. and A. J. Adegbile (1989). "Consumer Credit as a Means of Influencing Consumer Behaviour in Nigeria", Nigerian Marketing Journal, Vol. 2, No. 8.
- Garba, P. K. “Gender Dimensions of Inequality and Poverty.” In Adesina, ‘J. and Iyaniwura, J. O. (eds). Poverty, Inequality and Empowerment. Ibadan: Center for Econometric and Allied Research.
- Garba, A. G. and Garba, P. K. (2001). “The globalization of finance after the Bretton Wood Conference of 1944” Afri-Bank Journal of Economics and Finance. Ibadan: Afribank Nigerian PLC.
- Odubogun, P. Kassey and O. Femi Omololu. (2002). “Qualitative Research Methodology”. Proceedings of the Regional Workshop on Reproductive Health. Ibadan: College of Medicine.
- Garba, P. K. (2002). “Women Empowerment, Advocacy and the Budgeting Process in Nigeria”. Technical Report presented at the Development Policy Centre (DPC) at the Budget Workshop; March 11th.
- Garba, P. K. (2001). External debt, democracy and good governance: Lessons from the American democratic process.” Technical Report presented at the International Conference on Sustainable Debt Strategy; May 17-18.
- Garba P. K. (2001). Gender Issues and the Challenges of Development in the Twenty-First Century. Technical Report presented to the Center for Advance Strategic Studies (CASS), Portharcourt, Nigeria).
- Oyejide, T. A., A. Soyibo, M. I. Raheem, P. K. Odubogun, and A. Ariyo, (1992) "Liberalisation Policy and Nigeria's Agricultural Marketing and Pricing System: The Case of Cocoa", A Research Report Submitted to the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Dakar, Senegal.
- Oyejide, T. A. and P. K. Odubogun, (1991),"UNCTAD and the Developing Countries in the Multilateral System of Trade and Development" In Policy Research Working Paper Series, No. 4, (March), (funded by the Ford Foundation).
- Odubogun, P. K. (1991),"A study of the Relationship Between Education and Subordination
of Women to Men in Nigeria" A Technical Report. Presented to the Social Sciences Research Council of Nigeria, (funded by the Ford Foundation).
- Odubogun, P. K. (1988) "Personal and Professional Competence Building for African Human Resources Development Professionals" Technical Report. Presented to the UNDP/EPI programme, Gaborone, Botswana.
- Odubogun, P. K. (1988),"A Model of Marketing Skills for Products and Services of Management Development Institutions", Technical Report. Presented to the UNDP/EPI Programme, Gaborone, Botswana.